Formerly Blogless

True confessions of a girl who writes dirty books--and loves it!

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Sidenote

Little bit of trivia: Strasbourg is where the French national anthem was composed. It's called the Marseillaise because it was taken up and popularized by a group of foot soldiers from Marseille. It's a great anthem, very stirring--anyone who's seen Casablanca can attest to that. I cry every time, when Paul Henreid gets everyone at Rick's to start singing it, including that sad, pretty girl who's spent the first half of the movie flirting desperately with the Nazi officers to save her own neck, and she sings it with tears in her eyes, and Paul Henreid raises a fist in the air and looks just generally like he's burning with fierce resolve, and before I know it, I'm sobbing. So on this trip, I learned all the words to the Marseillaise. It's very bloody! I like it a lot. French is fun. I also speak Spanish (I was a Romance Language major in college) and supposedly Italian, although that's pretty much a fantasy these days. My Italian is beyon rusty--it's corroded into unusability. I wish I spoke Greek, and maybe Russian. Does that betray my liberal commie pinko upbringing too much?

So what languages do you speak? And if you were going to learn a new one, what would it be?

8 Comments:

At 11:09 PM, Blogger Lillian Feisty said...

I minored in French in college, but now I hardly remember any of it. These days I have my eye on a Spanish langage immersion school. Una mas tequila, por favor!

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger Louisa Edwards said...

Spanish is great, and immersion is the only way to go. I got fluent in a month in high school, doing an immersion program. Ok, so that was after 4 years of regular school Spanish, but still.

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger Ellen said...

I LOVE that scene and Casablanca. I always cry too. *sniff*

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Lillian Feisty said...

Hey, I just relized I *am* drinking tequila in Mexico in that picture!

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Kate Pearce said...

I speak basic French, barely manage hello or hola in Spanish despite studying it at school and a tiny bit of Welsh-mainly curse words and how to order a pint. I do have several friends and family who speak Welsh as their first language though! (does that count?)

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Louisa Edwards said...

Welsh! That's a good one. Teach me how to order a pint?

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger Debra Parmley said...

OMG this brings back memories. My high school French teacher made us all memorize the national anthem. I can still sing it to this day. LOL

(And I love Casablanca.)

Then I took Spanish in college. My prof kept saying "in Espaniol, Debra" and the class would crack up because the French would creep in. LOL

So now I know just enough of two languages to make a mess of things.

(Oh yeah, and then I learned some Tahitian words last March when we were there.) Now that is a beautiful language, mostly vowels so its very soft on the tongue and the ear.

 
At 4:39 PM, Blogger Tempest Knight said...

My native language is Spanish. Then English is my second language. I know very little Italian and German. I'd love to learn both well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home