Formerly Blogless

True confessions of a girl who writes dirty books--and loves it!

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

What's a Hangover?


You can all stop worrying. My head absolutely did not fall off my shoulders and roll under the bed to get away from the light when I opened my eyes Saturday morning. In fact, I must be younger and more resilient than I thought, because I managed to get away with an entire weekend of fairly heavy drinking, basically scot free. Well, at least hangover free, which was what I cared about.

Booze cruise was great--weak, watery gin and tonics notwithstanding. We barhopped all over Kelly's Island, and ended up at a place with dancing. I may have re-sprained my ankle, but it was worth it. And it's not really sprained. Just a little sore. Shut up. So I'm not as young as resilient as all that. Shut up.

My other little update has to do with my marriage. The worst is over! If, you know, it's true what they say, that the first year is the hardest. We have officially made it past that first year marker! Not to mention several of the most stressful events possible in the course of the average human existence: moving house, changing jobs, etc. To celebrate, we went to dinner at Johnny's Downtown in Cleveland on Saturday night and split a bottle of Champagne. It's a lovely restaurant, sort of bistro-ish, dimly lit and romantic. Nick filled my glass, then his, and as we raised the crystal for a toast, he said, "So. Want to give it one more year?"

Swoon. I mean, honestly. Must pause to fan myself back to full consciousness...

And then we spent the night at the Ritz Carlton, and came home on Sunday (the actual anniversary) and ate entirely too much thawed wedding cake. It was shockingly good still, honey ginger cake with hazelnut buttercream and a layer of caramel. Above is a picture of how it looked, intact. That whole top layer, with the wacky flowers spiraling out of it, is what we've been carting all over the damn country since the wedding. And now my freezer is finally free again!

It was a memorable weekend...

6 Comments:

At 10:54 AM, Blogger Kate Pearce said...

Awh...how sweet!
One year...you babies, you.
Wedding cake sounds fab-bring some to RWA
Kate who's now feeling incredibly old and nostalgic having just celebrated 20, yes 20 years of married bliss.

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger MariaGeraci said...

Glad you had a great time, Louisa:) Your wedding cake is gorgeous!

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger Mia Romano said...

Love the wedding cake. Congratulations on making it past the one year mark and for having space in the freezer now for lots of other wonderful things like, lobster tails, a bottle of booze. Well...anyway, so glad you had a wonderful weekend and celebration of a beautiful year of life together.

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger Mel Francis said...

sigh.

it sounds like it was lovely.

congrats on the milestone!

 
At 5:21 PM, Blogger Ellen said...

Congrats on everything! The hangoverless weekend of fun, the smashing wedding cake one year later (the intact version looks lovely), and the swoon-maker hubby willing to make a go of it for another year. All in all, sounds like you're on cloud nine! :)

Yikes! As I reread this, I realize that the Brit voice from the Sophie Kinsella audiobook I'm listening to has found it's way into my comment. LOL.

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger Louisa Edwards said...

I forgot to say before, all those crazy flowers shooting out the top of the cake? All made of sugar! Totally edible. Well, if you were really desperate for a sugar fix, anyway. But still, man made. I thought they were really amazing.

Thanks for all the anniversary wishes!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home