Formerly Blogless

True confessions of a girl who writes dirty books--and loves it!

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

So excited

I got home from RWA (that's Romance Writers of America, for the uninitiated) Sunday night, and I'm still feeling all revved up from it. The combined creativity and drive of that many women (about 2400 of us) in one hotel (a huge Marriott in Atlanta) was enough to fuel me for at least a week. Of course, that's not all I have going at the moment. See, I have the most fantastic critique partners in the world, and they have basically, in the last two days, done all my work for me on the next manuscript I'm about to write. It's awesome. Maria is our resident plotter, and Mel is our dialogue guru. I don't know what I contribute, exactly. You'd have to ask them.

So anyway, I'm pumped. Now all I have to do is sit down and write the thing. Easy, right? Well, it's not like I want to be playing outside or something. Mercy. Stepping out the door is like being transported to the Sahara, if the Sahara were really a lot like a swamp. Maybe Florida is the image I want. Anyway, not good. Cold house, much better. My husband, Nick, and I are on a health binge, and we dragged ourselves on a run (!!!) the last couple of days, and I thought I'd die. I mean, not to trivialize death or anything, but really. It was atrocious. So today I put my foot down, and we went and swam laps instead. I was (the slowest person) on the swim team in high school! I like to swim. I know all the tricks, the not-breathing-on-every-stroke thing, the turning-underwater thing. Well, ok, I know those two tricks, and they're enough to get by with. And now I'm adding a swimmer's high to my ongoing conference buzz and writer's thrill. Honestly, I don't know how I'm going to get to sleep tonight.

Oh right. The big glass of red wine in front of me as I write this. Mmmm. Merryvale, you sexy bitch...let's take this upstairs...

4 Comments:

At 2:47 AM, Blogger MariaGeraci said...

What do you contribute? Only your great taste, wonderful instincts and fantastic ability to see through something and say, "mmm... how is that going to work?"
Grrr... very irritating. LOL!

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Mel Francis said...

Yes you ask all the right (wrong) questions and make us actually have to WORK on our stuff. Damn you and your expectations.

Plus, you write hot, demon sex.

You're cheating on me with Merryvale? I'm saddened.

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Maureen McGowan said...

Hope you and Merryvale had a good time.

The heat finally broke here... There, too?

Even with the tornado warnings last night, I've never been so happy to see a huge thunderstorm.

Aaaah, relief. It's only going up to 26 in toronto, today... What's that? Barely 80's I think. It's still humid though... Why did I leave California?

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger Debra Parmley said...

Swimming beats running any day. (Especially in this heat.)

Too bad someone hasn't come up with the waterproof floating laptop. Then we could float in the pool with a glass of wine and happily type away....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home