Formerly Blogless

True confessions of a girl who writes dirty books--and loves it!

Monday, August 14, 2006

I'm Back!


Home again, at least two pounds heavier from all the delicious food and deliberate laziness. The Pocono's turned out to be the mountains in question. Gorgeous. We went to World's End State Park and took a dip in a swimming hole (Hunter had his first swim, ever!) and barbecued ribs in the backyard, in between bouts of fireworks and playing bridge. There was a lot of wine, and a firepit, and, of course...Frogmore Stew (pictured above). Essentially, it's an enormous pot wherein are boiled together corn, andouille sausage, shrimp, and clams. The broth is all drained away, so it comes to the table more as a big mess of shellfish and stuff than as a stew, and it's eaten with melted butter and cocktail sauce. Very yum. Our hostess is a transplant to Pennsylvania, and the recipe is famous where she grew up, in South Carolina.

We drove home last night, and immediately (and very virtuously) set out for a run. We all needed the exercise, believe me. Unfortunately, my left ankle, clearly vengeful over not being allowed to do anything more interesting than sit propped up on the back porch railing all weekend, turned on a patch of gravel and dumped me on my ass. I won't bore you with the subsequent medical odyssey of x-rays and aircasts (sighs of relief all around), except to say that I'm gimpy for a couple of weeks, and milking it for all it's worth. Nick is being a doll, offering to run to the store for fresh bags of frozen peas at all hours of the night. I'm getting lots of practice on my poor-me face.

To distract myself from the ugly swelling and the way the Ace bandage cuts off circulation to my toes, I plan to implement my first ever rejection letter translation session. If you've ever received a rejection or revision letter, and puzzled over the wording, email it to me, and I'll do my best to decode. This will be a regular feature on my blog, every Wednesday. I'm thinking of calling it Disappointment Decoded. Or Accepting Rejection. Reading Rejection! Well, whatever it's called, I need a rejection or revision letter to get started, so don't be shy. Email the letter to me at mledwards@mac.com, and be sure to let me know if you'd prefer to remain anonymous. Tune in Wednesday to hear what that editor was really trying to tell you!

7 Comments:

At 12:51 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

Welcome back! Sounds wonderful!

Well, except for the injury (after the fact). Hope the ankle heals fast. :o)

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger MariaGeraci said...

Okay, that Frogmore stew looks delish!

Sorry about the ankle :((

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger Kate Pearce said...

Sorry to hear about your ankle
but I guess that means I'm safe for the next couple of weeks!

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Louisa Edwards said...

Or it could all be a clever ruse. I'm just sayin'...

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger MarlyMathews said...

Louisa, it sounds as if you had a great weekend. Sorry to hear about the ankle...I know just how you feel...I'm limping around myself, I twisted my knee a week or so ago...one of my Yorkies was limping with me for awhile. I guess it was her way of showing sympathy. :)

~Marly

 
At 7:34 AM, Blogger Mel Francis said...

Glad the ankle isn't broken. But it still sux that you have to lay around and be pampered for a couple of weeks. LOL

We missed you. Glad you're back.

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Debra Parmley said...

Ooh, the Poconos are great this time of year! I used to live one mile from the sign that said "highest elevation in the Poconos" and our back yard was state gamelands. Beautiful place and it was only two hours from NYC.

Hope your ankle is well soon! (Oh, but think of how much writing you can get done!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home