Formerly Blogless

True confessions of a girl who writes dirty books--and loves it!

Saturday, August 19, 2006

And Right Back Out Again

Fickle bitch. Fate, I mean, not you. Yesterday she was my girl, and today, she's smacking me in the face with sour custard pies.

Ok, maybe that's a little dramatic. But I need another character name, and I guess what it comes down to is that I'm just not creative enough to come up with two great names in one week. Yet another ongoing character, although this one doesn't even appear in the first book--she's just mentioned. But she's kind of a plot point, or at least, she will be later on. And she needs a name!

A kickass name that I won't be annoyed with myself for next month. I've been haunting www.behindthename.com all morning (thanks Jo Beverly!) and I have some possibilities, but none of them are giving me that *click*, if you know what I mean.

But does it always have to click? Can I be satisfied with a name or a plot twist or a setting that I just decide on, instead of always wanting celestial guidance and approval? Dunno. But I'm not out of faith yet. Little Miss Plot Point is getting a place holder name for now--I'll give fate a short break, but then I expect her back on the job! No slacking!

7 Comments:

At 3:18 PM, Blogger Shelley Bradley said...

Oh, I hope you find the PERFECT name. I'm pea green because characters come to me with names that are non-negotiable, even if I don't happen to like the name...and there have been a few of those. I'll check out the site you mentioned. Sounds cool!

Hope the writing is going well otherwise!

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Mel Francis said...

Yes. the name has to click. Sorry. Even if you don't like it, you know it's the right name when they won't let you change it.

That's a click.

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger Louisa Edwards said...

Crap.

 
At 7:51 PM, Anonymous Donna Birdsell said...

Your editor might actually decide to change the name, anyway, because there are already three names in the book that start with an M...*eg*

 
At 5:27 AM, Blogger Louisa Edwards said...

Lousy, stinkin' editors! What kind of monster would do such a thing?

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Maureen McGowan said...

LOL, Louisa.

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Jana J. Hanson said...

Names are a difficult thing to decide on. I don't have a formula for finding THE one but I love flipping through baby name books or http://www.babynames.com when I'm creating new characters.

We probably passed each other at the TKA party, Louisa. There were TONS of people there. I know I didn't get to say hello to as many folks (Mel Francis) as I would have liked.

And isn't Deidre's writing amazing? I've been privileged (and more than willing) to read it for almost 6 years!

Best of luck with your own writing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home